LCFSC DIAMOND MOUNTAIN INITIATIVE WORKING GROUP MEETING Monday, August 1, 2016
LASSEN COUNTY FIRE SAFE COUNCIL, INC. (LCFSC)
LCFSC DIAMOND MOUNTAIN INITIATIVE
WORKING GROUP MEETING
Monday, August 1, 2016
Susan River Fire Protection District
705-145 Hwy 395, Johnstonville, California
The LCFSC Diamond Mountain Initiative meeting was called to order at 5:30 pm on August 1, 2016 at the Susan River Fire Protection District Office, 705-145 Hwy 395, Johnstonville, California. Attendees were Scott Rosikiewicz, Tony Shaw, Bobette Jones, Phil Nemir, Hannah Tangeman, Jeff Hemphill, Joyce El Kouarti, Ryan Hilburn, Don Hansen, Hugh Parker, Kristy Hoffman, Steven Anderson, Steve Griffin, Mark Shaffer, Larry Cabodi, Tom Esgate, Terri Frolli, and Cathy Dirden.
- Welcome and Introductions – LCFSC Managing Director Tom opened the meeting welcoming all and asked for introductions. Tom stated two weeks ago Don Hansen’s wife passed away; she was a huge supporter of the Council and will really be missed. He asked for a moment of silence in her memory.
- Western WUI Grant Application Update – Tom stated he received an email from Mark Shaffer stating that Honey Lake Power was no longer taking any fuel. Because of that, we are holding off making changes to our projects. Tom contacted the Governor’s office. Tony Shaw stated he finally received a response from the Governor’s office this afternoon. They will be setting up a meeting to discuss the biomass concern. Joyce El Kouarti stated she and Dave Hays met with Shane Starr regarding the biomass plant closing issue and the County’s concerns. She stated the biomass producers are trying to get things going. Tom stated we will continue to contact landowners about the project; the project term is 18 months and we may need an alternate plan.
- National Forest Foundation Capacity Grant Update – Tom stated he will be getting with Joyce on report to be posted on the NFF blog.
- SNC DM USFS NEPA Update on process – Tom stated the agreement between the archeologist and USFS has been signed. Bobette reported her team has been out doing their surveys; many should be done in the near future. They are doing the treatment plan for the mechanical and hand work along the road, and they are a month behind but still on track to write the proposal.
- SNC DM Implementation/Discussion on Application Submittal – Lloyd participated in a joint call between Bob Kingman/SNC and Ryan/WM Beaty regarding issues and concerns with the tenure agreement. They seem to have worked out the problems. Ryan stated he is waiting to see the agreement draft. Kristy Hoffman stated it was still with the SNC attorneys and hopes to have it next week.
- CFSC Diamond Mountain Grant – Tom stated Don and Ryan identified a demo site. Don stated it was a ½ acre strip along the Motorway with terrain very similar to the other property owners. Tom is negotiating with Jose Gutierrez for a hand treatment team. They will need to get an agreement in place for the demo site. Ryan will see what he can find out. Tom explained, for all that were not present at the last meeting, the decision to do a demo site since response to the project was mostly negative. Of the private property along the Motorway, Beaty owns about 50%. With less than stellar response, it was decided a “show-me” site should help the other property owners understand what the treatment entails and hopefully get them to sign on. Ryan is reluctant to hold the Timber Harvest Plan (THP) open; we can do hand treatment with the private company. Ryan and Don will work together on the plan.
- Mapping needs – Tom stated at this time we do not have a mapping need.
- Treatment Funding Discussion –Scott Rosikiewicz stated Cal Fire will have another $9–10 million in SRA funds and are putting $5 million into prevention with another $5 million toward tree mortality treatments.
- Other – Mark Shaffer shared that that on Thursday he attended a Plumas National Forest Stewardship meeting. They are actively planning for next spring and summer and should have a total of 3 projects.
- Next Meeting – Due to the Labor Day Holiday, Hugh Parker will check the schedule for August. If acceptable, the next meeting will be held Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 5:30 pm. Meeting adjourned at 5:58 pm.